Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Salvation of Souls

As a liberal Catholic Christian, I sometimes find myself engaged in theological discussions with other Christians over a wide variety of topics. A frequent topic of discussion is whether or not non-Christians have access to heaven, or eternal life with God, etc. Or whether non-Christians, unless they convert, are subject to eternal damnation. I just don't understand the arguments of those fundagelicals who would say that non-Christians are not as worthy or meritorious of heaven as Christians. I always wonder how do these fallible humans claim to know the mysteries of God? Nevertheless, since many of these folks also speak so highly of C.S. Lewis, I often resort to the words of C.S. Lewis to try to convey the basic position that I hold, which is one that embraces non-Christians as equally privileged members of God's family and that allows for non-Christians a place in heaven. Specifically, in the final installment of the Narnia Chronicles series of C.S. Lewis, The Last Battle, I point to Emeth's story of his meeting with Aslan, who is the Christ figure. Emeth, a Tarkaan who had worshipped Tash, Aslan's evil opposite, all of his life, tells of his encounter with Aslan:

But I said [to Aslan], Alas, Lord, I am no son of thine but the servant of Tash. He answered, Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me. ... I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For I and he are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath's sake, it is by me he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted.
This simple rendering captures it all for me. It makes perfect sense. But it should come as a warning to those Christians who seek to do violence against, or to engage in acts of destruction and harm against, their fellow humans -- no matter how much they may disagree with their fellow humans.

1 comment:

D-BB said...

Good post Hucky, just like the one right before this. Don't think I am saying that 'cause I got your roids all inflamed last week. My observation was on the money.

If you track your hits, then you know someone snooped around on your blog this morning. I was wondering how you did during Katrina.

Anyone who reads Huck needs to go back and read his posts in late Aug and Sept, 2005.

Huck, as I said before, I like you and after reading that stuff, u a good guy but.........
next time a Hurricane is coming our way, please don't tell it to "bring it".