Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cao and Earmarks

I'm not a fan of the current earmark process in the federal Congress where a bit more transparency and accountability would be welcome. However, I do not think the draconian grandstanding of many Republicans on this issue is ultimately a pragmatic posture with regard to good government. Let's face it: taxpayers do deserve some return on their investments. Earmarks are one way that taxpayers at the local and state level can see specific returns on their investments that directly benefit them and their communities. I acknowledge that the potential for abuse here is great, and that such actual abuse is all too common. And this must be stopped. But I'm not the kind of person that thinks that throwing out the baby with the bathwater is the way to stop it. Apparently, so, too, does my favorite Republican Congressman, who also happens to be my Congressional District Representative. Once, again, Cao refuses to drink the koolaid that the rabid rightwingers of his party are serving up. And I like him for that. But it still won't be enough for him to win in November. C'mon, Cao, switch parties now! It's your only chance to keep your seat. (Unless you fail to vote for Health Care Reform in the coming weeks, in which case your candidacy is dead, even if you switch parties.)

No comments: