Monday, January 04, 2010

Saints Update

Well, the Saints have finished the regular season not with a bang, but a whimper. Even though I actually recommended that the Saints rest their starters and throw in the towel on the Panthers game, I have mixed feelings about it.

On the one hand, it is true that the Saints will be well-rested and their key starters mostly healed up for their first playoff game in two weeks. And I guess that is a good thing.

But ...

There is a bit of listlessness about the way the season ended on a 3 game losing streak. And I worry that having rested the starters and thus losing the Carolina game, this kind of losing momentum will simply not be overcome for the playoffs. The Saints will not have a winning finish to provide them any kind of momentum moving forward into the playoffs.

I'm sure the fans will be pumped and excited in a few weeks, but there is no doubt that the mood here has cooled quite considerably from three weeks ago.

Finally, having played ball myself, I know that there is a lot to be said for playing to win each and every time you get on the field. Playing to rest is a recipe for laxity, which I hope the Saints and their playoff bye week can avoid.

No comments: