Thursday, September 11, 2008

What I Wouldn't Wish on My Worst Enemy

(1) This, which I experienced some two years ago for about 2 months and which, thankfully, I have not experienced since; and

(2) This, which I have been experiencing for the last few days and which I hope will end tomorrow following a visit to the Dentist.

It is not so much the intensity of the pain associated with each (which is relatively low intensity) that makes them absolutely horrible experiences. I have a pretty high pain threshhold and can generally stand the level of discomfort that comes with the kind of low-intensity pain of each. Rather, it is the chronic omnipresence and persistence of the pain that comes with each that becomes unbearable. There's just no relief from it.

Personally, I'd rather the one time jolt of pain associated with a smashed thumb, a broken bone, a serious flesh wound requiring multiple stitches, or a severed ACL (all of which I have experienced), than any kind of low-intensity, but chronic and omnipresent pain of inflamed and irritated nerves anywhere in the body.

No comments: