Saturday, August 17, 2002

School Board - I'm still baffled and angry about the pulling of Harper Lee's Pulitzer Prize winning novel, To Kill a Mockingbird, from Parish School library shelves by Plaquemines Parish School Superintendent Jim Hoyle. What is objectionable is not anything in the book or the movie, but that anything could potentially be censored at the drop of a complaint. Again, I see an attitude here that once again absolves parents from any responsibility for encouraging mentally astute and critically-thinking behavior in their children. Sure, I don't want my children to see evil in the world, to hear profanity, and to suffer through morally difficult moments; but life is not so kind. What's important is for me, as a parent, to walk through such moments of exposure with my children, when I can, to help them think through things, to help them build their own sense of right and wrong, to help them develop a sense of correct moral action that they can call their own. I firmly believe that censorship short-changes the mental and moral strengthening of children, not the other way around.

No comments: