Wednesday, August 14, 2002

My foray into web-logging owes much to Andrew Sullivan, who I consider to be THE pioneer of the medium. However, in spite of my admiration for Andrew Sullivan’s sharp mind and lovely prose, I find myself regularly at odds with his conservative viewpoint on many subjects. In fact, I have found that blogging tends to be dominated by conservative voices (much like - gasp! horror! - print media tends to be dominated by liberal voices). But I think that lib-blogging has its place in this exciting new world; and my desire to engage the blogosphere, in part, is an attempt to carve out a tiny space for independent liberal thought in this medium. So, here I am, ready to give it a shot.

In the interests of giving some coherent organization to this effort, I have decided to structure my blogs in a topical format according to my own personal interests, which will become evident from the blog categories which are listed below:

Cuaderno Latinoamericano – Random thoughts on things Latin American.

The Weak in (National) Review – My weekly reaction to the stuffiness of Bill Buckley and to the shenanigans of Jonah Goldberg and crew at the conservative standardbearer National Review Online.

Liberal Lighthouse – An illuminating beacon on any intellectually sharp lib-blogging or liberal punditry I can find.

School Board – Commentary on education, learning, and the Ivory Tower.

Blog Banter – The space where I “raze” or “praise” my favorite bloggers.

Going Mental – The occasional “column” in which I will attempt to craft a well-informed, passionate, and extended opinion on an engaging, timely topic.

Kingfishery and Kingcakery – Remarks on the absurdities and charms of the culture and politics of Louisiana generally, and New Orleans particularly.

Lagniappe - A little extra of this-n-that.

Who knows how this will all work out, but I sincerely hope that you will enjoy and appreciate whatever it is that emerges. Stay tuned …

No comments: