Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Northshore and NOLA

Something that's been grating on me lately. And if the following rant offends you, I can't say that I'm sorry for it.

If you read the Letters to the Editors section of the Times-Picayune, and look only at the letter writer's location, and see that they're writing from any place on the Northshore of Lake Pontchartrain, you can take it to the bank that, 99% of the time, the letter writer will be some conservative shrill bitching and moaning about the general state of affairs in New Orleans and the havoc we communist, terrorist-sympathizing, family-destroying, anti-Christian liberals are wreaking on this country generally.

Sometimes, it makes me wish that the Northshore would just secede from the Greater New Orleans area and have nothing to do with us. Honestly, I think they'd be happier for it. And I'd certainly be willing for New Orleans to cut its losses with them. I think they need the City of New Orleans and its liberal Democratic residents much more than we need them. But, my how they complain to high heaven about us liberal Democrats, we who do nothing but sustain their sorry suburban lives by keeping New Orleans afloat. When they sit down to pen their Hannity-esque screeds, it would behove them to remember that as New Orleans goes, so goes the Northshore and the rest of the State of Louisiana, for that matter.

No comments: