Thursday, August 20, 2009

Catholics and Health Care Reform

Now this I like:

On the eve of Archbishop Gregory Aymond's installation Mass, he has joined with Archbishop Alfred Hughes to release a statement on health care reform. The two men have joined with Catholic bishops across the nation in calling for health care reform that provides access for all with respect for the dignity of human life from conception to natural death.
I can get behind my Church and my Church leaders on this point. Click the link above for the full official statement from the US Catholic bishops on health care reform, but I have to say that I particularly like this part of the official statement:
The Lord Jesus, who came to save us from our sins, manifested a great concern for the sick in his public ministry. He also urged us to reach out to the poor and sick in our midst. The Church rightly considers that government has a responsibility to ensure access to basic health care for all.
Now, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the bishops explicitly state that they do not propose either a public or a private option, and that they categorically oppose any plan that calls for taxpayer financing of "abortion, euthanasia, or other immoral activities," and they also demand that any plan provide for "conscience protections" for all providers and recipients of any health care reform plan. So, it's not something all liberals will probably agree on. But, for me, I can live with any of these conditions as long as there is affordable healthcare for all -- including legal migrants (which the archbishops also explicitly support). I hope conservative Catholics agree with their Church and its leaders on this as well. And I ask them to join with me in solidarity and support of our bishops. Affordable health care for all!

No comments: