Sunday, February 12, 2012

Using the Nook

Today, for the first time, I actively used the Nook I got as a Christmas gift. And I really enjoyed it! I still am partial to the feel of a book with page leaves, but I found the Nook to be very appropriate and better-suited to the use I put it today.

I managed to rig up a way to secure the Nook to the stationary bicycle we have in our home in a way that would allow me to work out on the bike, to be able to read on the Nook, and to be close enough to my hands to be able to "turn" the pages on the Nook.

It worked like a charm, and I got through four complete chapters of Dickens's Oliver Twist while I put in my time sweating on the bike. I've tried to read on stationary bikes before, but the requirement to hold the book in one hand and free up the other hand to turn physical pages every minute or two was just too cumbersome, especially since I tend to push myself on the bike and need my hands to hold on to the fixed bike handles for stability and balance. With the Nook, all I had to do was reach over a couple of inches with my left hand's thumb and swipe/scroll to the next page.

And the best thing about it all was that in the process of reading, I lost all obsessive attention to the clock and the time of my workout seemed to fly by. That Nook is going to help keep me healthy and exercising! And as time goes by on my new and intense exercise regimen, I'm gonna need all the help I can get!

1 comment:

Michele Benson Huck said...

I'm glad you are using and enjoying your gift, and that it may even help you maintain your new healtier lifestyle.