Sunday, February 05, 2012

2012 Resolution Update

Yes, it's that time of the week again -- Sunday ... Superbowl Sunday. And I have to file my report on my own "championship" quest (of a sort): My 2012 Resolution!

On Jan. 1, I committed myself to get my weight down to 170 lbs by the end of the year or face a severe (to me, at least) penalty. Boy what a motivation that has been!

I started off the year on Jan. 1 at 206 lbs. Here's my mug shot from that day:


I've been posting weekly updates every Sunday since then.

This week, I'm pleased to announce that I've crossed another critical threshhold -- I broke 180 lbs. Today, after my workout, I stepped on the scale as usual. And the scale registered: 179.8 lbs!!!

This week's mug shot:


Last Sunday, I weighed in at 184.2 lbs. So I've lost 4 lbs in one week. Still perhaps too much, but I am confident that this weight loss is not coming at the expense of a healthy and balanced diet and exercise regimen.

I've consciously been upping my caloric intake over the past week. Perhaps what is happening is that I'm also getting stronger and my cardiovascular system is able to endure more extended workouts, so my workouts are incrementally getting more vigorous and a tad bit longer. Depending on the day, I ride the stationary bike from between 30-60 minutes and then I go for a swim which, also depending on the day, covers from 1/3 to 1 mile in the water.

I'm still trying to keep my eye on how much weight I'm losing each week, and I really want my goal to be more along the lines of a maximum 1-2 lb loss per week, so I've got some more work to do here. But I'm not too worried. I'm feeling better and I definitely have more energy during the day. I'm sleeping better, too. So, it can't be all that bad. Anyway, it is what it is and that's my report for today. Now, on to the Superbowl!

2 comments:

Julie P said...

You look great! Seriously - so happy for you!!!!

Huck said...

Thanks, Julie! It's been quite a ride so far. I have to say that I feel great; but given that I am a foodie and a person who lives to eat, it has been very hard to stick to my program so diligently. The exercise is pretty easy to accomplish, but it's the adjustment to my food intake that's been the biggest and most trying change. I haven't had anything sweet to eat since Jan. 1. No desserts, no ice cream, no candy, not even a small slice of King Cake (yet!!) I haven't had a sugary soda (I haven't even had a zero calorie soda!) I haven't had a single beer since Jan. 1. I've had maybe 2-3 glasses of wine over that time, and two coctails over that time -- but that's it in terms of alcohol consumption. I've had an overly rich meal maybe three times on special occasions. And I haven't had a single po-boy since Jan. 1. And regardless of what I eat I'd say I've cut my portion sizes to about one-half of what I previously would eat. So my gastronomic pleasures have been seriously curtailed. But I hope I'm developing healthier habits that will stay with me, because my habits were way too unhealthy before. Anyway, thanks for the support and words of encouragement! They really help me stick to my program.