Sunday, January 15, 2012

2012 Resolution Update

My only New Year's Resolution for 2012 was to get my weight down to 170lbs by the end of the year.

On Jan. 1, 2012, I weighed in at 206 lbs.

After one week, on Jan. 8, 2012, my weight had dropped to 197.8 lbs.

Today, the scale reports my weight as 192.6 lbs.

Visual evidence from today:



Not as dramatic a drop as the first week, but a 5.2 lb decrease in one week is still notable.  And it shows that my first week's big drop was not a fluke, as I had feared it might have been.  So that means that in just two weeks, I have lost 13.4 lbs.

Here's my Jan 1 photo for immediate comparison:



I think the difference is notable; but you be the judge.  Even still, this is all academic.  What really matters is the end goal of reaching 170lbs.  And I can tell you that getting down to that weight will not be easy, especially since I have stepped up my exercise schedule and will be building up some high density muscle mass.

I have to say that I have not been 170 lbs since high school/early college.  Back then, I was probably in the best shape of my life.  And there are certain aspects of one's physique that come with age that simply can't be turned back: a slower metabolism, higher bone density, etc.

But I am determined.  We shall see.  But I do have one caveat to my Resolution that requires some clarification.  My resolution was to get down to 170 lbs over the course of 2012.  Once I hit that goal, regardless of when it happens, I will have met my resolution.  So it doesn't matter if the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays of 2012 lead me to end the year at 175lbs (or greater).  And even though the long-term goal is to maintain a healthy weight well into the future; once (and if!) I hit 170lbs, my goal is fulfilled.  Just wanted to make that clear now, rather than later.


No comments: