Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Blog Banter - NRO's "The Corner" has charted an interesting debate between Stanley Kurtz and Jonah Goldberg on many facets of the whole gay marriage/civil union debate. I've just got to comment on one aspect of this debate - and really the only one that matters, in my mind. I must say, for the life of me, I cannot fathom how any couple's relationship, whether gay or hetero, whether by marriage or by shacking up, has any impact or influence at all on MY MARRIAGE. My wife and I got married because we loved each other and continue to do so. We work on it and we nurture it for us and for our children. Admittedly, it's a pretty selfish position; but the success of a marriage depends on this selfishness. Quite frankly, for anyone to suggest that the sanctity of my marriage is ultimately determined by someone else's lifestyle or choices is insulting to me. In fact, I think that Stanley Kurtz is the one attempting to sabotage my marriage by making gay marriage relevant to my marriage. It's not.

No comments: