Friday, January 30, 2015

Book Review of Julie Andrews Edwards' The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

The Last of the Really Great WhangdoodlesThe Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It's not terrible, as far as children's literature goes. I imagine there's worse. But it's only average. I give it some props for creativity and imagination; but it's really just a weak replica of the combined Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, A Wrinkle in Time, and the Narnia Chronicles. Same basic character types and plot structures, only not nearly as good. I probably wouldn't recommend this in favor of other better children's literature.  Anyway, I read this because it was a Christmas gift from my oldest daughter (who is 16 years old now), and she has memories of our reading this together when she was a little girl. But I'm certain that I never read this before and that she either read this for school or in some other context and is confusing her memories. Regardless, she's promised to read this book, too, as part of our own little book club, so we will end up sharing this reading experience after all. And that's definitely worth the read, irrespective of how good this book is!


View all my reviews

No comments: