Saturday, October 22, 2011

Posse

Part of what has been consuming my time and energy this fall semester is my role as Tulane University's assigned mentor for the freshman group of Posse Scholars. It's been a wonderful, albeit challenging at times, experience. For those of you who don't know about the Posse Foundation and its programs, I encourage you to check it out. It's really a simple idea, but one that has been quite revolutionary in advancing a particular kind of college education. Mind you, as someone intimately involved in the program by virtue of being a trained mentor, I can say that it's not picture perfect and that there are some challenges to the program; but on balance, I think it is a very worthwhile and successful idea. I'm proud to be a part of it and to have had the chance to get to know 10 really special young scholars.

No comments: